A zesty morning treat provided by Jim at BayView Bed and Breakfast.
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: medium
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 1/4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoons Sea Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Cold Butter
- Lemon Zest from a Large Lemon
- 1/3 Cups Raisins
- 1 1/4 Cups Regular Buttermilk
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and suger together, and cut in the butter.
- Mix in the lemon zest and raisins and then add the buttermilk.
- Scoop out a large golf ball size of dough and roll in flour, and place in a greased floured pie plate.
- Repeat, tucking each ball tight against its neighbour. Makes about 8 scones.
- Place in a preheated oven at 475 degrees and then turn the temperature down to 450 degrees. Bake the scones for 18-20 minutes, checking for doneness with a toothpick.
- For vegans use 3 tablespoons margarine or canola oil for the butter and 1 cup of vanilla soymilk for the buttermilk.