From the kitchen of Barb Selvage of A TreeHouse B&B and the B.C. Bed & Breakfast Innkeepers Guild Cookbook. Modified & Served at Beachview Retreat Bed & Breakfast.
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: advanced
- 8 Small Pears (peeled and cored leaving stems attached)
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean (split and scraped)
- 1 Slice of Ginger
- 1 Small Piece of Lemon Rind
- 1 Pinch of Saffron Threads
- Place the pears, water, sugar, vanilla, saffron, ginger and lemon rind into a sauce pan.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until the pears are just soft, turning them occasionally. Cool.
- Continue cooking on a slow rolling boil the pear liquid until reduced to half and thickened. Cool.
- Place a spoonful of liquid on to plate and set one pear on top. Garnish with saffron threads, lemon curls or small pieces of fruit like raspberry for colour. Serve.
- Can be served warm or cold with plain yogurt. Makes 8 servings. Pears and poaching liquid can be kept in the fridge overnight or for a day so can be made ahead.